Michael Kopald has been practicing Chinese Brush Painting since the Spring of 1974. His work is characterized by strong sure brushwork and a simple elegance. He restricts his subject matter to bamboo, orchid, chrysanthemum, and plum blossom, known affectionately to the Chinese as mei-lan-chu-tzu, or, “The Four Gentlemen of Chinese Painting”.
His work has been exhibited in art festivals and galleries across the country and abroad since 1978. Michael’s paintings can be found in private, corporate and public collections throughout the world.
- Elementary and High School teaching certificate in art from Southwestern University, Memphis, Tn. 1975.
- B. A. Art, Washington and Lee University, Lexington, Va. 1973
- Student-apprentice to Prof. 1-Hsiung Ju (Master Chinese Brush Painter), Lexington, Va. 1975-1980.
CAREER AND PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- Six-weeks of study with Chinese Masters in Taiwan, Republic of China, April-May, 1986 Accompanied Prof. I- Hsiung Ju and twelve other students to Taiwan for the first group of American students to study Chinese painting and Art in the Republic of China, May-June 1974.
- Co-Founder and Artist in Residence of Art Farm – organized to promote art activities and to provide an art gallery, art classes, and lecture-demonstrations on arts and literature, Lexington, Va. 1975-78.
- Curator-Director, Art Farm Gallery, 1976. Taught various art classes and workshops, 1975-1980.
- Lecture-demonstration, “East Meets West” National Museum of American Art, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. Feb. 8, 1981.
- Lecture-demonstrations, high school and elementary art classes, 1979-2004.
- Member, NAIA, 1997-2004.
- The International Ink and Wash Painting Competition, Qiong shan, Haikou, Hainan Province, China. July 1992.
- Numerous gallery exhibitions in Virginia, Tennessee, Delaware, Florida, Alabama, Washington. D.C., 1979-2004.
- Many group shows, juried exhibitions, and Art Festivals, including Sumi-e Society Exhibitions, Washington, D.C.; Cherry Creek Arts Festival, Denver,CO; Midwest Salute to the Masters, St. Louis, MO; Cain Park Arts Festival, Cleveland, OH; Ann Arbor Street Art Festival, Ann Arbor, MI
PRIZES AND HONORS
- First Place Painting, Des Moines Arts Festival, 1998.
- First prize Watercolor, Westhampton Beach Art Show, 1994.
- Judges Choice, Cain Park Arts Festival, Cleveland Hts, Ohio, 1993, 2002, 2004.
- Private and corporate collections throughout the United States, including China Pavilion and Tea House, Memphis Zoo, 2002, Memphis,TN