“Have you been there?” asks etcher Barbara Pihos. Viewers of her nature etchings often muse about the feelings her etchings evoke of time and place and share their memories of enchanted forests and tranquil walks.
Pihos creates four etching plates a year from her sketches in northern regions. Her ten-step process includes two drawings through hard ground and eight aquatint paintings with acid-resistant shellac on a zinc plate and etched in nitric acid after each step. She inks, hand wipes and prints editions of 80 or 90.
Sizes range from 4″ x 5″ to 18″ x 24″; prices from $80 to $400. Visitors and patrons are welcomed by appointment to her studio 50 miles northwest of Chicago. Slides are also available.
CORPORATE AND GOVERNMENTAL COLLECTIONS
- Kemper Group
- Chicago Botanic Garden
- McDonalds Corporation
- Amoco Corporation
- Northwestern Mutual Life lnsurance Co.
- Dow Chemical
- Helene Curtis, Inc.
- Forbes Collection
- Nature Conservancy
- State of Illinois Center
- Transamerica Insurance Company
- Burroughs Corporation
- Intemational Minerals & Chemical Corp.
- Siemens Gammasonics
- Giro Credit
- American National Bank & Trust Co.
- Dover Corporation
- Comptroller of tbe Currency, National Banks
- American Rental Association
- Transcontinental Pipeline
ONE PERSON SHOWS
- Northern Trust Bank (Chicago, IL), 1993
- Zurich American Insurance Group (Schaumburg, IL) 1991, 1997
- Chicago Botanic Garden (Glencoe, IL), 1987
- Campbell House Art Gallery (Geneva, IL), 1993, 1992
- Boerner Botanical Gardens (Milwaukee, WI), 1992
- Square D Company (Palatine, IL), 1991
- Barrington Area Arts Council Gallery (Barrington, IL), 1989
- Kemper Group (Lake Zurich, IL), 1985
- Northern Illinois Gas (Naperville, IL), 1996
SELECTED EXHIBITS AND COMPETITIONS
- Illinois Women Artists: The New Millenium, Illinois State Gallery, Chicago, 1999
- National Museum of Women Artists, Wash. D.C. 1999 (Illinois, 2000-2001)
- North Shore Midwest Print Show, Chicago, IL, 1993 Award of Excellence
- Artists Magazine – Landscape Competition, 1992 Award
- Portrait of Illinois Conpetition Art in Architecture, 1991
- International Print II, New Canaan, CT, 1988
- North American Print Exhibition, Boston Printmakers, 1988
- American Artist Golden Anniversary Competition (San Francisco, St. Louis, New York), 1987 Award of Excellence
- “Flora” Chicago Botanic Garden, Glencoe, IL, 1986 Award of Excellence
SELECTED ART FAIR AWARDS
- Saint Louis Art Fair 1996 First Place, 1997 First Place, 1998 Third Place
- Oakbrook Invitational, Oakbrook, IL, 1995 Award of Excellence
- Lakefront Festival of Art, Milwaukee, WI, 1990 Award of Excellence
- Old Orchard Art Festival, Skokie, IL, 1984, 1985, 1986 Award of Excellence