My work is black hand cut paper with occasional watercolors and small accents. Most of my cuttings are of noteworthy or historic gates. I mount my papercuttings to give a three dimensional effect, casting shadows on the back mat.
Authenticity and preservation of historical and noteworthy ironwork.
I began cutting paper in the German tradition, but went my own direction after a commission to execute an iron gate in paper. I especially enjoy the strength of black and white and the power of negative space. I feel these papercuttings preserve the craft of paper cutting and the beauty of ironwork.
I was raised in an artistic environment by two very creative parents who gave me much encouragement. I became an artist, in part, because my mother taught memany fine skills. My creativity developed over time lending itself to presents for others, resourceful projects, and one of a kind pieces of art. I had anaward winning “Draw Your Dream” in grade school. As an adult, I did pencil sketches, created a comic strip, original cross stitch and needlepoint designs, pen and inks, and many house portraits. I used my artistic skill as an RN, but eventually left that job to concentrate on art. I had earned money since the ‘70’s with my house portraits, so I built on that. I took art classes at VCU in Richmond, VA; a seminar in faux finishes at “Fe Fi Faux” in Greensboro, NC; watercolor classes at the Beverley Street Studio School, and the Staunton/Augusta Art Center in Staunton, VA. My paper cutting skills started with the encouragement of a friend.
SHOWS FOR 2000
- Germantown Friends School Craft Show – Germantown, Philadelphia, PA
- Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival – Winter Park, FL
- Stockley Gardens Art Show – Norfolk, VA
- PiccoloSpoleto Craft Show – Charleston, SC
- State Street Area Art Fair – Ann Arbor, MI
- St Louis Art Fair – St Louis, MO
- Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show – Philadelphia, PA
- American Craft Council Craft Show – Charlotte, NC
- June 2000 – Piccolo Spoletto – second place
- August 1998 – Staunton/Augusta Art Center Regional Exhibition – merit award
- March 1998 – Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival – selected for judging (ribbon)
- May 1996 Stockley Garden’s Spring Arts Festival – third place
- September 1994 Virginia Beach Center for the Arts Neptune Festival – award of merit
- June 1994 – Virginia Beach Center for the Arts Boardwalk Art Show – selected for judging (flag)
- September 1993 – Museum of American Frontier Culture – second place
- June 1993 – Shenandoah Valley Art Center – Members Exhibition – honorary mention
- May 1991 – Staunton Fine Arts Outdoor Art Show – judges choice award
- Spectrum Gallery – Wilmington, NC
- The Frame Gallery – Staunton, VA
- Piedmont Craftsmen Gallery – Winston Salem, NC
- CoArt Gallery – Staunton, VA